Our Journey

Our Journey

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Two working sets of hands...

Immediately after Nick had his accident, I started receiving offers of help - to clean, cook, babysit, etc.  All of it was very overwhelming, considering most of the offers came from our "local family" in Eagle County.  Although it's difficult for me to accept help, these offers came in handy.  I was given some wise advice that I should take people up on their offers - and after the entire day being spent in the ER, I knew I would accept help. 

Seeing your husband in that state - blood everywhere, barely walking, barely conscious, bike kit torn off, helmet ripped apart - was a very emotionally draining experience.  Add that to the fact I hadn't slept in a few months due to a newborn, the effect chasing around a 2-year-old can have on you, and just getting back from a 3-week trip to Illinois, I was completely drained.  I allowed Cayle to spend that first night at The Brandt's house.  I gratefully accepted a dinner from Melinda.  I allowed Annette to bring breakfast and dinner.  I asked Mary to watch Cayle and Lindy when I picked Nick up from the hospital.  I asked Rob to help Nick get in the house after he got home from the hospital.  I asked Mark to be on call - to take the car for an oil change, help me fix a toilet, play with Cayle, all of it!  It is so humbling to admit I need help, but the help I received helped me keep my sanity :)    

After a half-day or so of taking care of Lindy, Cayle, and Nick by myself, I agreed to allow Michelle to pack up her life and come help me.  I was spending the nights up pumping and nursing Lindy, comforting Cayle when he woke up crying in the middle of the night, and getting Nick medicine and checking on him.  Not to mention trying to get some clean laundry (Cayle asked me for undies and I offered him a diaper...) and eliminate the dust Cayle was playing in on the tv stand (I hate construction!).  I was exhausted.

So, the title of the blog is "two working sets of hands..."  Nick was unable to stand and walk, let alone do anything useful around the house.  Michelle provided an extra set of hands to help me out - and we were able to keep the kids occupied, get them naps, cook dinners, clean the entire house, do all the dirty laundry, and even fit in a little exercise and chit-chat time.  She was a life-saver.  

ethan giving lindy some attention
cayle participating in his first water balloon fight (courtesy of aunt michelle!)
ethan and lexi saying "hi" to cousin lindy
the three blond amigos
 

No comments: