Our Journey

Our Journey

Monday, March 4, 2013

Rec Center

Went to the rec center this eve for the first time in a long time in the afternoon. Sometimes I am able to take the kids swimming, but that's always at 8am. I went to spend some time in the steam room to try to ease some of the congestion in my head.

Let me begin by saying that I believe the rec center is a huge asset to the community and a great place to get a good workout in. The treadmills and stair ellipticals all had people on them. Which brings me to my point. I just can't help but feel a little sorry for all the people that spend hours per week running on those machines when it's so much more enjoyable (IMO) to run outside, and actually go somewhere, and be surrounded by nature and the beautiful scenery we have here in the mountains. Not to mention that most of the time it's also a better workout.

I like and respect the fact that people are trying to become more healthy and better themselves. Maybe 20 or 30 minutes on the treadmill is all that works, or maybe it's just having a tv to watch that makes it doable. I've been there, I've spent hours slaving away on those machines. But now that almost all of my working out takes place outside, I just feel a little sorry that others aren't also enjoying being outside.

 

No comments: