Our Journey

Our Journey

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Burning Prairie Grass

On our most recent trip to IL dad informed me that it was time to burn the prairie grass. He had been hoping that I was home to help with it since I have never done it before. The conditions were fairly decent (he hoped) and the grass hadn't been burned in several years. He has a bunch of acreage planted in the natural prairie grass. It's supposed to be burned every year, or at least part of it is supposed to be burned every year. Why plant the prairie grass as opposed to leasing it out for farming? There are many benefits, but the major ones are DNR pay you for acreage you have planted in the prairie grass, and it's great for birds and the natural animals. Basically it's what was there before farmers and people came along and destroyed it to plant fields of crops.

The benefits of burning are listed here.

Sometimes you have to add a little assistance...
Cayle didn't care for the fire!
Pyromaniacs
Cayle took off running back to Mommy and safety from the fire... He told me he enjoyed it, but that he got scared.

 

It was for sure a great experience! Lots of fun. I was really impressed with how difficult it actually was. Sometimes when you would be trying to get it lit, the fire would be so hot, I would just turn and take off running with my torch!!

 

No comments: