Our Journey

Our Journey

Friday, June 29, 2012

Triathlon

Back in the summer of 2009, I participated in a number of triathlons/duathlons.  I find these races to be a challenge because I don't excel at swimming, biking, or running, but I can accomplish all of them.  My challenge is to do better in each discipline at each race I enter.  So I'm always comparing my achievement to myself, not others.  Shortly after my last triathlon in 2009, I became pregnant with Cayle.  Then, I spent the summer of 2010 recovering from my c-section and didn't get back in to the races.  Last summer I didn't train for any races (not sure why??). 

Lindy was born April 16, and Dr Kohn cleared me to begin exercise May 30.  I, however (shockingly), had other plans.  I started working out (cautiously) May 16.  In the past, I've always made good progress working out with the "30 day shred" by Jillian Michaels.  So I started that tape May 16.  Then while we were on our trip to Illinois, I added some running (and a few disastrous bike rides) to the mix.  The running went well in Illinois, but not so good here in the mountains at altitude.  I'll have to keep working on that :)

Sometimes when you have lots of unstructured time on your hands, you make some crazy decisions.  I did that exact thing today by signing up for a triathlon to complete yet this year.  I'll be doing a triathlon that I've done before (in Highlands Ranch) in August.  So until then, I'll be swimming, running, and biking as much as I can.  My goal for this upcoming race is to beat my times from the previous time I competed in this race.

You're welcome to join me in that race :)     

No comments: