Our Journey

Our Journey

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Plunge.....


Last night was the Mountain Pedaler Wednesday night mountain bike ride. I was on this ride 2 weeks ago for the first time and struggled to keep up at times. But this being 2 weeks later, and some good training involved in there plus even more time spent at altitude, I was ready and raring to go. We left the shop with 7 riders, 2 more than 2 weeks ago, but well short of the 20+ they said usually show up earlier in the year. In the beginning I was doing really good, and felt good, but at one point in some loose shale I came unclipped and by the time I got back on my bike I had a hard time catching up and was really struggling. I finally caught up when they stopped to wait for me. Still not as fast on the mountain bike as they are, but getting much better. The route we took was similar to last week, starting off with Abrams, to Itch and Scratch, down Elk Trail (something like that), through Star Wars, and on to THE PLUNGE. I previously blogged about this steep downhill section and called it Death Star. The correct name is THE PLUNGE. 3 steep downhill sections that are very rutty and steep and challenging. Any extra speed is a VERY bad thing!! 2 weeks ago I ended up walking down the first hill and took easier roundabout options on the second two. This night I ended up saying screw it, I am going to try it at least. So I put my backside right over the top of my rear wheel and grabbed a buncha brake and went over the edge. YIKES!!!! Several times I had both wheels locked up and felt like I was definitely losing control....only to right the ship and keep on going. About 3/4 of the way down everyone was cheering and yelling and stuff, cause they knew I had chickened out last time. Pretty cool, although a little embarrassing. After I got down I looked back up and was like NO WAY OMG I can't believe I just rode down that thing. On the 2nd section I was 2nd last to go and started to go and then just bailed cause I lost my confidence. After I took my feet out of the pedals I looked further down and the owner of the shop had gone off the side of the cliff and fell about 10-15 feet down the loose shale. Luckily all he ended up with was some missing skin on his arm and shoulder. So on that section I took the easier way around, but on the last section which is just as steep as the previous two, but a lot shorter, I decided to try it. This section has lots of really deep ruts that are pretty sketchy. You have to pick a line and stick it or you get in trouble. The majority of the way down I had both wheels completely locked up and was just skidding with my behind hanging way off the back of the bike, and about 3/4 of the way down there is a 90 degree turn that you kinda have to skid through and then if you make that you are home free and its a nice easy cruise to the bottom. So I made it down the 1st and 3rd sections and was super excited with myself!!!! Maybe sometime in the near future I will be able to conquer all 3. After the ride we sat at the shop and had pizza and beers for a couple of hours. What a way to end an awesome ride!!!

How to Ride Downhill....

When the hill is as steep as THE PLUNGE you need to use both brakes HEAVILY. Balance is the big thing and keeping your speed as slow and controlled as possible!

No comments: