Our Journey

Our Journey

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Rivalry Game


Had my first officiating experience with a major rivalry game. Of all the games I've seen as a coach, official, or player, this is one of the most heated! Close local schools, one public, small town, very good at basketball school (Teutopolis, my alma mater) and St. Anthony, which is private, but also always has good basketball teams. Like they said on the radio last night, "with this game, you get friends playing friends, cousins vs. cousins, everyone knows each other." I was only reffing the JV game (thank gawd!) but it was still very intense. It doesn't help when you know the coaches, because then they assume they can yell at you by name and get you to make a call for them. That being said, it was a ton of fun, and a very good learning experience. It's tempting to just stick with the Jr. High and 6th grade games as they are about the same pay and much less stressful, but they also aren't as valuable learning experiences, which is what I need most. The officiating season is winding down. I have 6-7 6th grade games left, and 1 fr/so game. Then the season will be over! I'm looking forward to some warmer weather to get outside and garden, bike race, and spend time with family!

No comments: