Our Journey

Our Journey

Friday, February 28, 2014

A Polish treat

So Nick and I were reading the grocery flyer the other night - cuz we are cool, not because we are old and lame.  We came across this ad for something that looked a whole lot like a donut.  But claimed to be a "paczki."  And then went on to describe that it's a Polish treat, made right before Lent, to use up all the fat (lard) and goodness in the house before the fasting period of Lent begins.

Cayle and I went to the grocery store after school today, and I noticed a ton of people there.  I assumed it was just people freaking out before the next big storm (see previous post).  But there were also a ton of people waiting with boxes.  At a stand I've never noticed before.  And I put it all together...people were there hoarding these donut things.  The store couldn't even keep them on the shelf.  They were coming right out from the bakery, and gone within seconds.  I was able to get one that was raspberry filled.  Mostly I think because I was the only person in the store who only wanted 1 paczki.  The others were waiting to fill boxes full.

So we got home and all four of us shared the paczki.  It was yummy.  And had lots of filling.

  But I still think it was really just a donut :)
 

No comments: