Our Journey

Our Journey

Monday, February 27, 2012

Reflections from Class

I have come to 3 realizations about school lunch. I have come to these realizations through discussions with my students in my health class, my discussions with Natalie, and my own personal experiences. Pizza sauce counts as a vegetable... according to the FDA...
1. It is extremely difficult/almost impossible to eat school lunch as a vegetarian. The days that Natalie doesn't bring her lunch to school, which is rarely, it's tough for her to find something to eat in the cafeteria.
What some of the kids lunches look like at school! I can't believe we let kids eat this crap!

2. Today in Health, I had the students list what they ate for breakfast and lunch, and then identify what was healthy/unhealthy. Common things for breakfast were, milk, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, bananas, orange juice, and toast. Lunch, which was eaten at school, was grilled ham and cheese on processed hamburger buns, fries, potato chips, chocolate milk, tator tots, pizza.... you get the point. I just learned on the Jillian Michaels podcast this week that pizza sauce (because it is made from tomatoes) and french fries count as vegetables for school lunch! And our society wonders why 50% of our society is overweight or obese... hmmm....
The nuggets hit the protein necessity, and the hash browns are potatoes (veggies...)

3. To the best of our abilities we will be packing lunch for Cayle when he starts school. Unless something changes by that time. I know there is a big push for healthier lunches with fresh ingredients taking place (even in our district), but I wonder how long it will take for ALL schools to adapt to these practices, and if so, how can we afford it?
Why is it so difficult to be able to provide a lunch that looks like this for our kids???

No comments: