Our Journey

Our Journey

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beaver Creek Blast and the Season 2011


It was a bittersweet ending to a fantastic season. Going into the last race, Natalie and I had talked about how I could not even race and still get 3rd overall, but I could move up to 2nd or maybe even first with a win and a poor showing from 1st place in the overall. So basically, I should have no pressure. I felt great going into the race. My weight was at an all time low 164 lbs! I was light and fit and ready for the first 3 miles of steep climbing on the course. I started out in the lead, and stayed there for the first half of the first climb. By the time we got to the top, I was about a minute behind the leaders, but they were still in sight, and that is a HUGE improvement over previous years versions of this race. I blasted down the single track, and ripped the false flat on village to village. Shannon (2nd overall) was in front of me, but Brinton (1st overall) was behind me. Brinton caught me shortly after the first downhill, he is more of a climber, so I think he was on a fairly bad day. We rode together for a bit, really pushing the pace. I ended up dropping him on the false flat of village to village. On that same trail, Jay Henry (1st pro cat) passed me (after having started about a minute in front of me and riding 3 miles further,) I surged and caught him and drafted off him for a bit. This is really when I realized how fast I was going! When we got to the end of Village to Village, I caught sight of Shannon just a bit in front of me in 3rd place. There was a 14 year old kid from Vail Mt. Bike camps just in front of me and behind Shannon, so I was currently in 5th place, and moving up! We hit a good single track traverse and the kid in front of me pinch flatted on a rock, and I quickly passed him moving into 4th. Climbed a short dirt road section, ready to begin the last 2-3 miles of singletrack downhill, and Pssss.... CRAP!!! FLAT TIRE!!! My race was done! It sucks because I was riding so strong, and making ground on the guys in front of me! Shannon who was directly in front of me ended up winning the race, and consequently lept from 2nd to 1st in the overall with Brinton finishing 6th on the day. I DNF'd for the race, and kept my 3rd in the overall, but felt like I would have been challenging for the win w/out the flat tire. Unfortunately that stuff happens though. To make up for it a bit, I won some cool prizes at the after party raffle. An Oktoberfest stein with chain lube, a Yeti's Grind gift card, and a couple other things. I also won a free pair of KEEN's which I later traded for a one night stay at the Weston Spa and Lodge in Avon, who sponsored the series! Looking forward to that! Also a way to show my wonderful wife my appreciation for all her support!It's difficult to be too upset about the result of the final race. I had my best season ever! I got my FIRST win EVER this year (road or mountain)! I finished 3rd overall in the sport category! I proved to myself that I could climb and ride with the other guys in my field! It felt pretty awesome showing up to every race as one of the favorites! All new experiences for me, and it was pretty cool. My previous racing weight had been around 180, and this season it was 170, dropping to 164 for the last race. There were many times that I thought I could not get my weight below 180 lbs! The season was super awesome, and I had so much fun! Of the 7 races, my results were: 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 3rd, DNF. Pretty freaking cool! And even cooler thinking that most of my training was done while pulling Cayle in the Chariot! He was a part of my success!... :)

Next year I will be racing expert, and there will be many new challenges. I am looking forward to it with newfound confidence. I know that I will struggle on many of the courses, but I also plan on being competitive on some of the courses. The races will be longer and harder and I will be racing with the Pro's, but I am looking forward to the challenge!

No comments: