Our Journey

Our Journey

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Butta BING

The great and wonderful BING Cherry! I remember a vacation with the fam and grandparents, (one of my most memorable vacations) to Oregon and Washington. Along the Columbia River Gorge lies the town of Mt. Hood where we stayed for a while in a house on the top of a cliff overlooking the river. We went for the scenery and windsurfing and fishing and yes I also remember all of those things, but one of the things I remember the most is how many BING Cherries we must have eaten. Cherries are a big thing in that area of the country, and every few miles or so there would be a roadside stand selling them. I don't know if we stopped at every single stand or not, but I fondly remember mom saying that we needed to stop for cherries. It was always mom pushing for more cherries to be eaten while driving (thanks mom). We even got so that we knew which stands had the best cherries and what to look for in a good cherry. Not that I was complaining or anything, they are awesome! and the pits are awesome for having spitting contests! Speaking of which: Brian Krause, 30, currently holds the Guinness World Record after spitting a pit 93 feet, 6 1/2 inches in 2003. "Guinness Book of World Records" That is just downright amazing and I never even came close to that unless you count spitting it off of a cliff and falling that far to the water.....

What made me think of this is when Natalie and I went down to the farmers market in Edwards, CO, last saturday and again this morning. We always go on Saturday to get our fresh veggies and few goodies. Really a good bonding time for us and a chance for some excellent fresh produce. Rusty even got to go this morning. Well the goodies last week was an excellent garlic pesto, and a pound of bing cherries. The goodies this morning were once again bing cherries. ONE POUND! Which got me thinking about how many pounds of cherries we must have eaten in Oregon. If I had to take a guess, I would say we easily ate over 4-5 pounds A DAY. Mind you between 4-5 people, but still we really ate a lot of cherries, and I can promise you that we enjoyed every single one of them.

No comments: