Our Journey

Our Journey

Monday, July 28, 2008

Abrams Creek/Worlds Greatest

So I printed off this trail map for the Abrahams Creek/Worlds Greatest Trail and headed out for a good mt. bike ride this morning. Ended up 2 hours later back at where I had started with 15 miles of riding gone by and not a darn clue if I had followed the map correctly or not. Every time the map said to go one way, there were 2 other possible ways to go that were not on the trail description so I just kinda had to guess. About 7 miles in there was a 0.5 mile doubletrack that it said was steep. Oh man! was it ever steep I ended up after 0.2 mile spinning out on some loose rock and had to walk my bike for a bit. I hate walking my bike... The whole point of having a bike is so you dont have to walk/run! Made it up that, crossed a cattle gate and enjoyed the 2 miles of downhill that is the Worlds Greatest Trail. As steep as the uphill was before, this downhill was crazy. I was rubbing the back tire with my ass cause I was hanging off the back of my bike so I wouldnt go over the handlebars! (yes Andy I do not enjoy going over the bars when there is no snow to land in.)
One time in Springpatch we had about 12 in. of snow. Andy and I went out for a ride of course... had to cause we never get that much snow, and riding mt. bikes is still fun... Well we came up to a snowbank that was about 3 ft. high with about 1 foot of powder on the other side. In my normal showboating way I said check this out. I got going about 15-20 mph toward the snowbank... just thinking I would go right through it and into the snow on the other side. Well the snowbank was a little harder than I had bargained for and my bike stopped immediately but I unfortunately didnt! Fortunately the snow on the other side was really nice and soft. After I had unburied myself I turn around to see this woman walking just cracking up and Andy has also lost it. He says, "That was one of the coolest things that I have ever seen, that was AWESOME! Let's go have some chocolate to celebrate this wonderful feat!" The woman says, "WOW! my son would have loved that, you just made my day! That was so cool!" Well.... what can I say, Glad to be of service!!!

Anyway, I ended up back about where I had started. Turns out I hadn't made a wrong turn until about 2 miles left to go. Ended up with 15 miles in 2 hours of riding. Not bad, not good either, but it was hard, and I got some sun and a good workout.

Hoping to do a couple crits this month, but its hard getting motivated to go out and train on the road bike when the mt. biking is so awesome. I am going to do a group ride on the mt. bikes on wednesday, so hopefully I will get to meet some of the locals and figure out some of the local trails. Tomorrow is a hike with Natalie and the dogs up by Beaver Creek Ski resort, then yard work and road bike time.

1 comment:

Markiss said...

I promise I am going to start riding on my refurbished Schwinn continental. Steve just bought a bike as well and is excited about beginning to ride. With gas prices the way they are I am seriously conidering riding my bike to school, despite the lousy road to travel on. Enjoyed your blog and keep it up! Cubs win!!!!