Our Journey

Our Journey

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Foam Rolling

One of the biggest reasons endurance athletes use PEDS or performance enhancing drugs is for the ability to have great workouts continuously. For example, a normal athlete (not on PEDS) can have a great workout on Monday, then when they go to train on Tuesday, the workout is a little less effective because you have tired muscles. Continue this without rest, and eventually your workout quality diminishes to the point where your muscles just shut down because they aren't getting time to recover and regrow. An athlete using PEDS can have a great workout on Monday, the same great workout the next day, and the next, and the next.... You get the point. The drugs help an athlete's muscles recover to the point where they are fresh for each workout. And you can see how that would be beneficial, if each workout is like your first workout!

Which brings me to my point, and something it has taken me a while to truly understand. The name of the game is... Recovery!!! How can I recover fastest to be better prepared for my next workout. I used to think I could just train as hard as I could and when I got tired, I would take a day off. Not sure if I am just getting older now (31) or just looking for ways to be more competitive, or looking for an edge, but I can definitely tell that I don't recover as fast as I would like to.

There are many ways to speed recovery after a hard workout, some cheaper than others. Carbohydrate/protein drink in the first 30 minutes after a hard workout (chocolate milk, protein shake) massage, electrode stem, compression sleeves, ice baths, foam rolling, stretching.


Massage of some sort after workouts is highly recommended, but too expensive for most. A foam roller gives many of the same benefits for much cheaper. Natalie was instructed to use one by her PT, so I decided I should also start using it. After 2 days of rolling now I think it seems to be working? I do know that it's painful to do! Hopefully it helps with muscle recovery.




No comments: