Our Journey

Our Journey

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Just like Grandma's....

OK! So on Sunday night I had a First! There have been a few firsts since we have moved to Colorado, but this was a different kind of first. I made my first pie! PIE!

I love pie!, apple, blackberry, RHUBARB, strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, among others. My grandma Brummer always makes the best pies, and Grandma Pruemer makes a mean strawberry pie not to mention Natalie's pies. The only problem with Natalie making some of them is that she just makes them and then I have to eat the whole thing (i hate that....), cause she doesn't want to try her rhubarb. SO I had a lot to live up to!

A co-worker brought in a bucket full of apples from a tree in her yard, so I asked Natalie if she could help me make an apple pie. Nads being the wonderful wife that she is say's, "of course dear, I will help you make a pie." ahhhh how sweet!.....

1st peel the apple's...... (This is where that Pampered Chef crap, that I tried to make Natalie get rid of at the garage sale,
comes in handy.)




















Then slice the apples in pieces. (also a nice pampered chef tool) :)



















After slicing the apples, I placed them in a big bowl (pampered chef) with some sugar, whole wheat flour and cinnamon.












Next was rolling out the dough. I first tried this with whole wheat flour, but the dough didn't roll out correctly. So.... I had to go to the store to pick up some all-purpose flour. This worked like a charm.

Natalie showed me how to roll the pie crust onto the rolling pin and then lay it out onto the pie plate. Worked like a charm.

Whad'ya know, but my pie turned out. Since it was now about 8:30 or so and I am getting old, I had to get to bed. (actually because I needed to get up at 4:45 to go work out) I didn't get to try any of my precious pie. But the next day I took it to school to share with our awesome staff! I of course had the first piece and I thought I had done a pretty awesome job! As you can see, it looks pretty amazing. The golden crust is my specialty!!!! Look at that smile... think I was excited????

2 comments:

thesnake said...

Oh my god.... You're a woman! You can't deny it- there is photographic evidence.

Drama Queen 29.6 said...

Great! Now I miss Grandma B's apple pie!