Our Journey

Our Journey

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Final Advent Update

Here's how our activities ended...
Dec 18 - make Christmas cards for friends
Nick loved me for this one :) Cayle made some snowflake cards and wrote on them and then sent them in some of the Christmas cards we sent out to people.

Dec 19 - take food to the food bank
Cayle packed up a bag of cans and boxes of food to take over to Catholic Charities. I explained to him that some families don't have as much food as we do, and they could really use some extra food. He was very sad for these families and was so cheerful about delivering the food. So proud of his sweet heart :)

Dec 20 - red and green breakfast
Yikes, almost messed this one up majorly! I had forgotten to look ahead to see if there was anything to plan for in the upcoming days. So this day happened to be my final day of work before the break, and I was super late in even getting out of bed, let alone having time to make a fancy red and green breakfast like I had initially planned. So as I scrambled around just trying to get to work in time, Cayle picked his number and informed me today was the red and green breakfast. Some quick thinking really paid off - I quickly poured the kids some milk in sippy cups, colored Cayle's green and Lindy's red, and Nick headed off to Daylight Donuts in search of red and green donuts. Thankfully, they delivered :)

Dec 21 - read and watch The Polar Express
Another near-fail on this one. It actually was supposed to be earlier in the week, but I just so happened to check the TV guide that morning and found the schedule had changed, and our movie would be on from 8-10 pm that night, instead of my intended 6-8 pm. So, that morning, I quickly rearranged things and taped the movie so it would be ready for this day. Whew!

Dec 22 - family game/puzzle night
This was lots of fun. We each picked a game to play, and Lindy picked a puzzle for us to do together. We continue to spend time reminding Cayle it's "not all about winning...sometimes we just play for fun...".

Dec 23 - get a picture taken with Santa
This was pretty exciting since the Santa we planned to see was located in Carbondale and we would be going with Tiffany and Carter. It was a great day seeing them! PS - Lindy was nit a big Santa fan, so I joined the pic :)

Dec 24 - read the nativity story and sleep in Christmas jammies
We read the story before bed, and then had a little lesson around the manger set we have by the fireplace. The kids had their Christmas jammies on, then we got them up and dressed for church at 11 pm, then they came back home and put their jammies back on. And wore them all day on Christmas.

Dec 25 - have a sleepover under the Christmas tree
Cayle was pretty tired by the time this activity rolled around. He seemed pretty excited about his sleepover :)

Cayle was sad that today was our last number on our chart. I am really sad too. He has loved all of the activities, and I've loved using the Advent activities as a way to teach him what Christmas is about. I can't wait until next year :)

No comments: