Our Journey

Our Journey

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dr. Niles Thomason

Blogging kind of fell apart the last several weeks. We got busy with the Holidays, maybe lacked some blogging motivation, and then this happened. We lost a close friend. Christmas morning 2013, Niles Thomason, left this world for the next. It was such a shock to everyone that knew him. It really hit Natalie and I hard and close to home because we had just spent a couple days before with his family and in-laws in Carbondale, IL. Niles was supposed to be there with us to go to the Saluki's game, but his flight out of Denver had gotten canceled, and he arrived after we had departed for the night.
We were at Natalie's parents when we got the news. Natalie was browsing Facebook and said to me, kind of out of the blue, "Niles died." I of course couldn't comprehend the news, and didn't really want to believe her. Shortly after that, after texting some friends, it was confirmed. It really was true. He was 31. Had a young child that I had spent a school year caring for, and a wife who is close friends with mine. We shared a few common interests, namely a love for good beer and the mountains of Colorado. He and his family were part of our Colorado family. I kind of suppressed my emotions for a couple of hours, but soon had to let go. I was just so sad. Sad for him not getting to go to more concerts, taste more beers, go on more camping and hiking adventures. Sad for his wife, who had just become a single mother. Who would have to go back to Colorado and try to figure out life without her husband. Sad for Carter. So sad that Carter would not know his daddy. Everything hits home so much harder once you have kids.
Natalie and I have discussed many things since getting this terrible news. (That's what happens when you spend 17 hours in the car together...) We drove down to Tulsa to attend the memorial service. It was so beautiful too! In a worship center up on a hill over looking a lake surrounded by woods. It was very pretty and peaceful. Capped off perfectly by a song by Yonder Mountain String Band (Niles Fave) Most notably we have just agreed that you have to be appreciative of what you have and not take anything for granted. You never know when God will call you to join him. I will do a better job of letting those around me know how much I love and appreciate them. Live life to the fullest, you only get one chance.
I am the one who always says that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we don't know what that reason is, and we may never know what that reason is. I will never understand why it was time for Niles to go. It's not for me to understand. But I can learn from it and make the most of what I have!
We will all miss you Niles. You were a good man!
To paraphrase one of Niles best friends who gave a short speech at his memorial...
It's life. It goes on. Make the most of it!

No comments: