Our Journey

Our Journey

Monday, September 2, 2013

Gateway Cup

Labor Day weekend bike races in STL. First time doing these as a cat III and first time doing these since we moved to Colorado. Tough races as there are always huge fields, good money paying out to 15 places, and racers from across the U.S. I didn't really know what to expect for myself, since I hadn't done many crits in a long time, but even though I didn't end up winning or placing in any money, I was pleasantly surprised. My fitness was good enough to easily hang out in the pack and to pretty much move around at will. The only thing really lacking other than experience was the super top end last lap kind of power.

Cayle got to do his very first race! Saturday at Francis Park. It was 108 degrees heat index... Miserably hot! His race started immediately after mine. So as soon as I finished, I tried to find him to help out since Natalie was also dealing with Lindy (supermom!) when I finally found him at the back of about 25, 3/4 yr olds, he was paralyzed with fear and crying while sweating... After the others took off, he finally agreed to go if I ran along with him. Keep in mind I was still in kit and sweating profusely... So I took my shoes off and ran with him. The crowd was going nuts as was the announcer, and Cayle loved it! The announcer said that "every finisher was a winner" so Cayle keeps repeating that and saying he's a winner. So proud of himself!

Our accommodations for the weekend were so amazing! We stayed at Natalie's uncles house near Troy, IL. It was so nice having meals and snacks made and a pool for the kids to play in!

 

No comments: