Our Journey

Our Journey

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Farmers

It's that time of the year. The time of year when the leaves begin to change color and drop from the trees. The time of year when the temperature begins to cool. The time of year when the days get shorter and the darkness gets longer. The time of year when the farmers are out getting the crops harvested. The single greatest factor that has immediate change on midwest landscape. One day there are endless fields of soybeans and corn. The next just barren, empty fields of stubble.

Goes from looking like above to looking like below almost overnight.


I have fond memories of being on the farm as a child with both of my grandpas. Most of my memories with my Grandpa Brummer are more just playing in the barns and being around the livestock, and catfishing in the pond. My dad's parents moved out of the farmhouse and into their current home when I was young. I don't have many memories of them living in the farmhouse. My moms parents however were still on the farm for most of my childhood even though they moved off the farm as well at some point. It's just a TON of work for the elderly to have to be responsible for all the time. And that's what farmers are. Responsible for everything that has to be taken care of on the farm.

I remember riding in the combine with my Grandpa Pruemer on a few occasions. I always thought it was the coolest thing ever to get out and harvest with him. It would always be at night, after dinner when he was working late. He would either take a break and come in for a short dinner and then head back out for a few more hours and take me with him, or Grandma and I would bring some food out to him and then I would get to climb up in the combine and ride along for a while before Grandma would come back out for me. I was young and The Harvest doesn't wait for anyone. When crops are ready to be out, they need to be out, and the farmers are out there all hours of the day and night working.

I also remember riding on the wheel well of the tractor as a child in the spring when it was time to disc the dirt to get ready for planting. Not as comfy as the spacious cab of the combine, but still way cool! Plus it's just so cool as a young child to hang out with your grandparents! (A big part of the reason we moved back from Colorado... and Cayle loves spending time with both sets of Grandparents!)

Now, I need to get Cayle out in the fields and on the farm for a bit. I believe we may have an opportunity at some point to get out in the same fields that my Grandpa Pruemer used to farm, as my Uncle now farms the family lands.

 

No comments: