Our Journey

Our Journey

Monday, April 29, 2013

Ridgeline Rampage Recap

Every race is a learning experience. Longer races present more "learning time." This past Saturday I had a 60 mile mountain bike race in Castle Rock, CO. Going in things were looking pretty good. My weight was close to what I wanted, training has been good, and bike is working great! The only thing really obvious missing was training miles. I've been getting some good intensity, but only 2 rides this year so far over 60 miles, with the longest being about 80 miles. So the distance was going to be a concern.

I ended up quitting after 50 miles. Just got tired... Didn't want to do one more 10 mile lap.

What went right-

* I felt super strong for 2 laps and was riding with the leaders most of the first lap.

* great training!

* nutrition was good, and eliminated some of my cramping issues.

* bike was fantastic!

* bought some new glasses. My first ever Oakley's! They have a wind jacket rubber eye piece that seals wind/dirt out , and prevents eye irritation. Big issue since I have some sort of dry eye syndrome. They worked unbelievably well! It was amazing being able to see and not having sweat and wind in my eyes!

What went wrong-

* put in a HUGE effort half way thru first lap to catch the leaders, burning too much needed energy...

* downhills were terrible! This has never been an issue for me before, and now every time I go downhill fast my crash from last summer flashes into my mind. No confidence descending at full speed. Hope that goes away soon... Flat sections and uphill I would catch and often pass people, only to get passed/dropped on the downhills.

* lack of training miles may have hurt a bit

* sun! Finally the sun came out! It was only 70 degrees, but I was baking! By the 5th lap all I wanted was a cool shady rock to crawl under and hide... Hit with some kind of heat exhaustion

Even though I didn't finish, and didn't have the race I was hoping for, it was still a great learning experience! Great training! Great motivation to keep training hard! I got lots to improve on! There were other people at the race that I ride and race with on a regular basis, and it was so nice having them offer encouragement and advice when I was struggling. Couple more short track races then it will be time for the town series!

 

No comments: