Our Journey

Our Journey

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Race Recaps and Last day with Grandma

1. 0:22:30.90 #118 Schimpf, Peter Foxtrot-Echelon Racing
2. 0:22:33.20 #135 Burnett, Robert Primal Racing p/b 1st Bank 3
3. 0:23:10.32 #103 Dunlap, Peter Feedback Sports Racing p/b Raining
4. 0:23:49.57 #104 Burton, Michael BRC Cycling 3
5. 0:23:49.69 #126 Brummer, Nicholas Wheelfast Bicycle

The time trial was on Friday night down in Carbondale, CO. About an hour from our house. My goal was to break 27 mph avg speed for the distance. (about 20k) It's a rolling time trial along the Roaring Fork River. It is awesome! On smooth roads, and little winds. I was supposed to be checked in an hour before my race time (6pm), but got stuck in traffic on the way, and didn't even get there until after 6.... Wasn't an issue though, as the officials had yet to show up to the course when we got there.... They eventually showed up and we got started over an hour late. I was one of the few in the Cat III's on a road bike with aero bars, but the legs were feeling good! I achieved my goal of 27 mph, averaging about 27.3 mph over the course. I also got 5th in my category! This blew away my expectations! I was ecstatic! I narrowly missed 4th place, but was more than happy with my 5th and my time. I took a minute off my time from last year on this same course! The picture above is at the start, and the video is me coming in at the finish. The two guys behind me were my 20 and 40 second men. I was the only rider in the top 5 on a road bike with aero bars which makes my result feel even better! It feels good to beat guys on full time trial bikes!

Saturday was the crit. It was pouring rain and 50 degrees and I was not aggressive in the beginning for fear of crashing, and soon got dropped. Rotated with a few others for about 20 minutes before pulling out and calling it a day. Not crazy about rainy crits when I have a baby and wife at home to take care of.....


Sunday was mom's last day with us in Gypsum. After church we had breakfast at Fusion Cafe, and then watched world cup soccer for a bit before heading to Edwards for a walk. At the end of the walk we got caught in HAIL!!! (hurt my bald head) After walking a couple miles along the river we headed to Nozawa in Vail for Sushi! It was delicious and a good end to the weekend!

No comments: