Our Journey

Our Journey

Friday, April 4, 2014

Wow! What just happened?

Timeline of events starting at about 1pm, Wednesday, April 2nd

1pm - I started feeling tired and a little sick to my stomach. Tried to push through it and finish the house chores. About 1:30, I decided I had to sit down a bit since I was feeling so tired. I sat for about a half hour, then I had to pack up the kids and run out on an errand. While out my physical condition continued to deteriorate.

2:50 - Feeling sick to my stomach and extremely tired, I decided to lay down for 15 minutes before going to pick up Natalie from School. I just thought I was run down and tired.

3:30 - We picked up Natalie from school, she mentioned feeling sick to her stomach, and that it started about noon.... She dropped us off at home and headed to the eye doc. At this point I was extremely nauseous and needed to lay down. I laid down on the couch at this point, extremely miserable with stomach pain and nauseousness.

5:30 - Natalie returns home from the eye doc and her condition has also worsened. She made her way to the recliner with stomach pain and nauseousness. We are both now out of operation and the kids just played with toys and watched a movie.

6:15 - Natalie served the kids "dinner": tortilla chips, dry cherrios, apple slices.

7:00 - We have not moved, and my mom comes over to put the kids to bed.

7:45 - Mom takes off, and we have not moved.

8:30 - Move to the bedroom, I decide I am getting better, so decide to take a bath and eat some dry cheerios.

9:00 - I headed to bed, feeling happy about being "over" my thing...

12:50 am - Natalie calls the "advisory nurse" to see how she should proceed and patiently awaits a return phone call.

1:30 - Natalie has been groaning in pain for the past 3 hours and asks me to call my mom to have her come stay with the kids, so I can take her to the hospital.  I get am, decide I am doing ok, eat a couple pop-tarts since I didn't have dinner and get ready to head to the hospital.

1:45 - Nurse calls back and says Natalie should go to labor and delivery to be assessed and have the baby checked.

2:15 - While driving to the hospital (about 30 minutes away, which is a discussion for a different time!), I get very hot, start sweating profusely, pull over on the interstate, and proceed to pass out.  Natalie calls 911, gets me some fresh air, moves me to the passenger side of the car, and then drives us to the hospital herself.  I should note it was raining out, semis flying by, and the sick pregnant woman is the one trying to move a passed out man who is much larger than herself.

2:30 - We arrive at the hospital.  The man in admissions asks who needs to be seen and Natalie explained our unique situation "I am 27 weeks pregnant with vomiting, diarrhea, and nauseousness, and my dr said I needed to come to labor and delivery.  However, my husband has also been sick and on the way here, he passed out while driving on the interstate, so he also needs to be seen."  The admissions man certainly looked at us like he hadn't heard this particular story before.  Once I was seated (so I didn't pass out again!), Natalie became priority and was wheel-chaired up to the Women and Children's Center where she will have the baby.

For the next few hours, they assessed each of us, giving us IVs of fluid, tested my heart with an EKG, and monitored the baby.  All tests were fine, and they think I just had low blood pressure from being tired and sick.  Once I got enough juice in me, I felt lots better and was discharged.  Natalie was not dehydrated and her tests were coming back pretty good, but she still felt awful.  They told her it was something that just has to work it's way through (a gastrointestinal virus).  So they discharged her and off we went.

Thursday - We got home and slept most of the morning and into the afternoon.  Early afternoon I got up and picked up the house a bit (what a mess when you leave a 3 year-old and 1 year-old in charge!) and then headed over to my mom's to pick up the kids.  Natalie continued sleeping all afternoon.  We had a lazy afternoon and evening with the kids, and Natalie went back to bed about 730 pm.

As of Friday morning, we've both had a good night's sleep.  Now to relax and get stronger!  We were planning to go north this weekend to visit Natalie's family, some friends, and to do some bike races.  Those plans are out the window and we will just hang low for a few days :)        

No comments: