Our Journey

Our Journey

Friday, November 4, 2011

Motivation

Motivation: is the driving force by which humans achieve their goals. Motivation is said to be intrinsic or extrinsic.

It's such a tricky beast! Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't. Most of the time during the bike racing season, I have it... big time.... sometimes though, I lose it... When the mountain bike racing season was over this year (Aug. 17th,) I decided I wanted to run a sub 6 mile at school with the kids. I was able to stay extremely motivated and knocked out that goal, then when dad asked if I wanted to bike race in Missouri in October, I was able to find the motivation again to train 3 weeks for that... But even keeping the motivation for that was tricky. After my major goal of the season, the mountain bike series, I always have some down time of laziness and low motivation. I had not really had that yet this year, since I started running hard about a week after the mountain bike series.

Now what brings this topic up? It is now November 4th and I haven't ran, or done anything physical other than riding my bike the 3 miles home from work since October 23rd... I haven't done anything except eat... lots!!! And struggling to find the motivation to get started with anything.

It's a good sign though, I have been getting antsy the last couple of days to get out and do something. Run or x-country ski or something. But that's at least the first step, feeling like I should get out and do something.

Until then, I am motivated to figure out a way to get my 7th grade basketball kids to start playing better. We have the talent, but lack good game time decision making skills.