Our Journey

Our Journey

Friday, February 3, 2017

Grandma Great (Brummer)


On Thursday afternoons the girls and I go see my 98 year old grandma. Their great grandma. I so treasure this time. And I know some day they will too. They already love it. Lindy loves showing her all her work from school and Kyler loves giving her hugs and listening to her read. Then the girls go play or do tumbling maneuvers for her. Of course there's always a cookie for every kid that comes over. 


When I was a kid you never went to grandmas house without getting some kind of treat. Often it was a meal of fried catfish and homemade bread. Grandma always insisted on cutting the bread so thick.  There was always fresh made fruit pies as well. If it wasn't a full meal, you would get a cookie or some kind of homemade treat. Now, even being 98, she insists on every kid getting something everytime they come over. She no longer makes the cookies herself, and I'm sure that pains her. Sometimes her kids make the cookies, sometimes we provide cookies, and sometimes they're store bought. But the kids always love them just the same. 


Sometimes when the sun is out we just sit together in the recliners and doze, enjoying the warmth of the south winter sun. Sometimes we talk about current events. (Even at 98 she doesn't shy away from stating her opinions on politics and making sure I stay in line... :-) Other times we just catch up on what's happening that week. She's always interested in my baking, gardening, and of course the bees.
 

The first couple years we were back in IL I didn't make it a priority to see her. Maybe we'd see her once a month, or every few weeks. Then, something clicked. I decided there may not be much time left and decided to make the most of it. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Treasure the ones you have while you have them. 



Of course, the downside of this, is that when Jesus calls her, it is going to be much tougher on our kids . They have grown so close to her. They do sometimes mention her going to heaven though, typically when they wonder about grandpa great. Likewise, it will also be hard on me. Although I wouldn't trade our time together for anything. 



No comments: